Monday, March 7, 2011

A Close Encounter With the Sweaty Kind

On Saturday I had my 201 improv graduation show. To say the show was a hit would be an understatement. We all did very well and I was really pleased with the show we put on. Unfortunately it was not recorded so I can't post a youtube clip or anything. However, I can tell you that the high points of the show included scenes about incest, strip clubs, drug use and abuse and police brutality. I challenge you to find funnier topics.

On a slightly different note, I ran into a college friend at the gym today. Now, you all know how I feel about hugging; that it's uncomfortable more often than not because so many people hug unneccasarily at first meetings, or when the other is not reciprocating the movement to hug. And after today I would like to add hugging at the gym to my list of hugging inappropriateness. Everyone is out of breath, sweaty, listening to their ipod or eager to finish their workout, so it's awkward to interrupt or slam bodies together and catch up. That's why I wish I could say I wasn't the one who initiated the hug today to my college friend.

In a new city it is damn near unheard of for me to randomly run into someone I know from Colorado. I was so shocked to see someone from my past, I was prompted to demand a hug. And no, I was not deterred from the embrace when he said, "I would hug you but you're kind of... sweaty" as I leaned towards him, my arms wide open, ready to confirm that he was real and I was actually having a chance encounter with a friend. No, I ignored his clearly disgusted comment and chose to keep going. Sweaty? Sweaty? Who cares! You're a connection to my old life. Sure, we probably weren't on hugging terms at school, but you better believe we are now. Get over here, right in front of this bench press, let's hug.

But after the hug, when the blackout of surprised happiness wore off, it registered in my mind that he did notice my sweating and it quickly become all I could think about. I cursed myself for wearing a grey shirt to the gym! As we continued talking, I become increasingly aware and embarrassed of my sweat, which obviously, because my body hates me, made me sweat more. Finally we wrapped up the conversation and left the gym. I must be on my game the next time something like that happens. I need to remember that just because I don't interact with people very often doesn't mean everyone else leads my same life. I need to reserve such enthusiasm for family reunions, lottery wins and eventual, substantial employment.

No comments:

Post a Comment