Friday, May 13, 2011

My Love Letter to CU

It has been one year since I graduated from the finest undergraduate institution in America: The University of Colorado—GO BUFFS!!! It is near impossible and very frightening to believe that I have been a college graduate for an entire year. I like to think that everything froze in Boulder, CO when I finished my degree and moved away to find a job where a college degree is not necessary. Which made it difficult to believe that anyone younger than me at school had work, or tests, or parties, or FUN in my absence. But alas, it’s not true. Another class has graduated and left the place that has been called such things as “ The Happiest Place in America” (CBS), “The closest a college town is to Heaven” (Sports Illustrated) and “The shit” (Me).

The realization that this year has passed so quickly terrifies me for two reasons. My first fear is that each year of my life will pass by just as quickly and as ruthlessly as 2010 did. Before I will know it I will be asking my fellow retirement home residents to hit this “Take It, Bitch” beer bong, made my Junior year of college:




My second fear is that with each passing year hundreds of college graduates begin their job search, thus making it more dfficult for me to find a full time job. I know what these Colorado graduates bring to the table: every desirable quality.

A likeable attitude? Check. After four years surrounded by clean air at the base of the Flatirons, a CU graduate can’t help but be enjoyable to be around.
Dedication? Check. We Buffs have suffered through several horrible football years, but still support our team and fill the stands. And we aren’t even allowed to drink in the stadium.
Confidence? Check. Every CU graduate knows they went to the best school ever and will not allow anyone to tell them differently.

Combine these qualities and you have the perfect employee. Or politician. Or boxer. So to all my Colorado graduates I say, congratulations!... And don’t even think about writing for a sitcom. Unless of course you get a job writing for a sitcom before I do and to that I say, help a fellow Buff out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment