Monday, November 15, 2010

Going a Different Kind of Green

I recently had the opportunity to see a California medical marijuana card up close. This should not be taken as me sneakily telling you I got a medical marijuana card because that is just not true. Weed and I do not get along. Never have, and I refuse to find out if we ever will. With that being said, I’m fairly confident that I have found the solution to this ridiculous debate of legalizing marijuana.

Medical marijuana advocates need to start taking their cause more seriously. This starts with making the actual card look a little bit more legitimate. Right now the California medical marijuana card is a piece of paper no bigger than an index card and can be easily confused as a loyalty card at your local laundry mat. A little lamination goes a long way.

The most alarmingly casual aspect of the medical marijuana card is the following statement written on the card: “this is to certify that ‘blah blah’ would probably benefit from the use of medical marijuana”. This is not verbatim, but this does include one crucial word: Probably. Call me a stickler for proper medical care, but I don’t find the word ‘probably’ on a prescription to inspire much confidence in the diagnosis. You would never go to a hospital and happily volunteer your limbs if a doctor said, “you would probably benefit from an amputation of the left leg.” You would never gladly accept a doctor’s nonchalant ‘dunno’ shrug when you ask if the medicine they are prescribing will cure your migraines. That is unless the medicine can be taken in delicious edible chocolate forms.

I believe that marijuana has medicinal qualities, but I do feel that it needs to take some steps in a serious direction if it wants to get the attention it deserves as a viable medical option. It is just so silly right now, no wonder it’s losing in elections. It would be like putting something ridiculous like Arnold Schwarzenegger for the governor on a ballot.

In other news, we are filming our movie (based on the short story I wrote) this weekend! I'm PUMPED because we have an awesome cast and since I will be working behind the camera I can eat non stop. I will hopefully have a link for you all in the next few months or so. Possibly a wonderful Christmas present for us all...

No comments:

Post a Comment