Friday, October 8, 2010

There Is A Season-Turn, Turn, Turn

Having lived in Colorado my whole life, I have become very attached to seasons. And while Colorado is a little Schizophrenic, often times giving you warmer temperatures in February than May (hello snowfall night before my graduation), there is always a change in mood that I welcome with open arms. Like when the leaves start to turn colors and fall arrives I find myself wanting to speak in Old English because it reminds me of witches. While my friends use these pre-winter months to think of the best Halloween costume I work to suppress my desire to insert “twill” and “twas” into daily conversation. Some may argue that reverting to Old English is weird but I beg to differ. I call it authentic. There is no better way to say “time to put on a scarf for this crisp fall air” than “twill be chilly today”.
Or when the crispness of fall transitions into the next season of winter, one thing comes to mind: Christmas. Some might believe that I am, as a half-Jew, confused around this holiday season. But with any uncertainty that arises I allow my mood to naturally change with the season. Therefore I drop my Old English accent and give into my next seasonal habit: changing my facebook profile picture to that of me in a Santa dress made out of a Christmas tree skirt (with a theme party looming in the near future my freshman year at CU, I made a brave, crafty and affordable outfit). This change reminds me to be thankful. Especially for leggings because the long slit in the back of that Christmas tree skirt would not have left a lot to the imagination had I forgone them.
And with the warm temperatures of spring comes the inexplicable and uncontrollable need to find any reason to drink outside. I can’t explain these moods that come with the changing seasons, but they do and I’m not one to argue with the science of my body.
But since moving to California the lack of a distinct change in weather or season has completely thrown me for a loop. I don’t know when to spark up my Old English accent and I’m concerned Christmas will pass before I feel the innate need to change my facebook profile picture. And the consistent, warm temperatures make the outdoors inviting at all times, a solid concern for someone with a limited friend circle and therefore limited drinking buddies. But, alas, I have decided to take California as my own. And that means taking its flaws and confusions as well. Let’s just hope my natural instincts don’t become numb and dormant throughout this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment