Monday, October 18, 2010

You Know Who You Look Like...

I like to pride myself on my ability to find similarities between my friends and celebrities. This is really tricky because it is not always flattering to tell someone they look like Stephanie Pratt (a rehab graduate and former reality TV star). I often find myself assuring her that I meant post-plastic surgery, or pre-plastic surgery depending on the celebrity and/or friend…

Some people just don’t understand that the comparison means that you look like that celebrity; you don’t act like that celebrity. Just because I say you look like Angelina Jolie does not mean you’re a homewrecker who kisses her brother at the Oscars, take that generous compliment and go with it. Just because I say you look like Carrot Top it does not mean you make bad jokes, it just means you have red hair.

Just as I was getting sick of the negative backlash that came with my celebrity comparisons, I was on the receiving end of such a comparison and had an eye opening experience. I was compared to this "Freaks and Geeks" star:



Millie Kentner. A religious Mathlete, famous for her rendition of “Jesus is Just Alright With Me”. I was shocked by this comparison. I was nothing like Millie in high school, I was far too busy being a heathen and becoming famous for my rendition, “Cheap Vodka is Just Alright With Me” to be a Mathlete or perfect a flawless center part.

But as I continued to watch the show I could not help but see the comparison clearly. I did look like Millie (when I was 11). And I realized: celebrity comparisons are hilarious. As long as the resemblance is there in the slightest and you aren’t being compared to a member of the opposite sex (unless it’s Justin Beiber, because let’s be honest that comparison really works both ways) no one should be offended by a doppleganger.

I will not deny myself, or others, of my talents! Thank you family member, who was around during my awkward Millie phase, for pointing out this resemblance. For without you I might not have realized how important celebrity comparisons are to comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment