Saturday, February 5, 2011

Bad News on the Streets

I had epiphany last night that made me very sad. I was driving back from an improv show in Hollywood, was exhausted and really not looking forward to the 40 minute drive ahead of me. I cursed myself for staying out late when going to bed early had sounded like the ideal situation since about 5pm that night. I was stopped at a light and saw a homeless man to my right sleeping on the corner of the very busy intersection of Hollywood Blvd and Highland. There were still tons of people out and about, walking past him, shopping, drinking; living their lives. And then it hit me; one of the worst things (dare I say THE worst thing?) about being homeless is that you can never go to bed early. When all of society is your roommate no one is going to courteously tip top past you and press their index finger to their lips to warn fellow passersby that you’re sleeping, “shhh! He has a big day of panhandling tomorrow.”

No comments:

Post a Comment