Saturday, July 3, 2010

Dr. Scholls Stole My Thunder!

I continue to excel at walking in this city, but this talent is really taking a toll on my knees. It's my own fault though, I have not been wearing my insoles when I walk these long distances. I don't want to brag, but I've had corrective footwear since before it was cool to have corrective footwear. Before Dr. Scholls was making a killing with his gellin' commercials, I was getting my foot plastered for personalized insoles to give my foot the false sense of an arch.
I know insoles are all the rave now, but when I was in middle school it was mortifying. Imagine a constant squeak coming each time you take a step. This was especially embarrassing when walking to the front of the class to turn in a quiz in complete silence. In middle school any squeak, or similar noise, is always assumed to be a fart. I constantly sounded like I was crop dusting the classroom.
When it became summer and everyone started wearing cute flip flops I had to wear ones that would still offer me some support. And since those cool Old Navy flip flops don't care about your arches, I was forced to wear Merrells. Which is what grandmothers wear. I looked like Robin Williams in "Jack", or at least my feet did. From calf down I looked a few years out of retirement. It is these painful memories that encourage me to not wear my insoles which in return gives me knee pain. It's a vicious cycle. Possibly after several years of therapy I will be able to embrace my arches again.

No comments:

Post a Comment