Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Adventures in Fitness!

I mailed the spec episode of How I Met Your Mother that my brother and I wrote to the Disney Writer’s Fellowship today! Thank you to everyone who read it and gave us feedback! The most consistent feedback we got was that it was pretttttty awesome so send good vibes to our little episode!

The other day I was going to the gym and I had a very interesting encounter in the elevator. My gym is on the second floor of an office building and I always take the elevator for two very important reasons: 1. I tried the very first day to find the stairs and wandered around aimlessly for awhile and now I’ve been going there for too long to ask where they are. And 2. I think it’s important to reward yourself before the work out as well as after. That’s why I always have a pastry on my way to the gym and crack open a beer as soon as I get home. You need to keep yourself motivated.
Anyway, I got into the same elevator as a fairly large woman and her young son. I pressed level 2 for the gym, the woman laughed and said, “I always think it’s so funny that you people going to the gym can’t walk up one flight of stairs to get there”. I laughed a bit too then said the first thing that came to mind in my defense, “I can’t find the stairs”. She told me they were right between the front entrance and the elevators, her son snorted a laugh at me and then the doors opened. I continued to ponder this experience and realized two things: 1. the woman could have been a racist, I told you about my gym and she DID use the term “you people” and 2. She was headed to the THIRD FLOOR. There is just no excuse for this in my book. She was teaching her son to not only laugh at those who can’t find the stairs (what if I was blind?) but to be lazy. Don’t worry, I called social services. Just doing my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment