Friday, June 18, 2010

Daily Grind

I have been slacking on my updating because dun da da daaah! I got an internship! I did not find this one on craigslist, I found it through my amazing brother, Eli. Eli used to intern for this man, a producer, and passed along my name. He is a refreshing change from the first experience I had in Hollywood. He is actually a nice person. He is a family man, lives a very modest lifestyle and is still very successful--who knew it was possible?!

With an internship in the entertainment industry under my belt, I have come to focus my sights on a paying job of some sort that I can have in addition to the internship. There is no easy way to say this.... but I have a spending problem. I'm a sucker for good food and a good time- which we all know is never free. Nothing is free. I don't understand how this city is so expensive when everyone I meet is working a non paid internship. This should actually be the cheapest city because no one has a job to pay for anything. I wanted to go to the beach for some sunshine and ended up paying 20 dollars to park. There goes the foot long street hot dog and admit one ticket into the Venice Boardwalk Freakshow I was planning on buying.

I have come to notice the diversity around me in this city. Let's take my gym for example. I work out at 24 hour fitness right by the airport, and it boasts some strikingly different characteristics than the 24 in Boulder. In Boulder there is a community of young, environmentally friendly moms who gather for daily yoga while Kelly Clarkson or Tom Petty play from the speakers. I walked into the 24 in LA and was the only white, female, non-body builder. This is really something else coming from Boulder where the African American population is the CU football team. I have always been a minority (half-Jew) and was immediately comforted by the loud gangster rap that played throughout the club. I do have a soft spot for gangster rap... call me a feminist.

No comments:

Post a Comment