Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ummm Colorado isn't a developing state....

I had heard from some of my friends, who migrated to Colorado from other states at a young age, that there are some odd stereotypes about Colorado from an outsider’s perspective. I had never encountered this before because, well, I've lived in that wonderful state my whole life. Many people who have either never been to CO or have only skied there, are under this strange impression that it is a fend for yourself state, a place where technology and hot water have not yet reached. A state where we ski or ride horses to school that is if we aren't homeschooled to save time to work on the family farm. I'm aware there are farms in CO, but not in Denver.
So, a couple nights ago I walked into my roommates room and she was watching the E! network with one of her guy friends. The TV show was Kendra (for those who don't know Kendra, you don't know JACK! just kidding, it's a reality show of a former Playboy playmate, cameras follow her around her house with her husband and newborn son as she tries to tackle household duties and motherhood. That explanation is mostly for my parents because everybody knows about Kendra). I do have a soft spot in my heart for Kendra, I think the love between her and her husband is real, so hard to find on reality TV these days. So, because our TV in college was constantly set to the E! network and I'm a 22 year old college student not a Mormon choir girl, I have seen Kendra. Anyway, there was a scene in which Kendra is hard at work on the stripper pole set up in her living room (the only acceptable place for a home stripper pole). And the boy in the room says, "well, welcome to LA" almost apologizing for the crude behavior on the tv, as if there was no way I had been exposed to something so obscene in my life. As if Colorado does not get cable, or that there is no such behavior in Colorado. His tone was apologetic but also had a hint of relief; thank goodness I had experienced this first time glimpse at stripping in the safety of my subleased home, with friends there to comfort me.
But, at the same time, I can’t blame these people for being confused about Colorado. The men who direct you to baggage claim at the airport wear cowboy hats, boots and bootlace ties (I had to google the name of this tie—that’s how not Colorado it is). How can people not be confused when the first thing they see driving out of the airport is a demon stallion? That thing looks like a sacrifice we gave as a state to ensure a strong horse breeding season. I understand how people think the mountains are empty, snowcapped fields when the most recent Colorado contestant on the Bachelorette boasted ice fishing, hunting, and “being a Colorado outdoorsman” as his favorite activities. Most of the Coloradans I know are outdoors-y like any other outdoors-y person would be. Happy hour on a patio.
But don't worry ColoRADans I'm here as your official Ambassador to clear up this confusion. One unpaid internship at a time....

Speaking of my unpaid internship, I have very little contact with people on the days that I work so that is why my blog is lacking a little bit but I'm starting something new (in addition to this internship) on Sunday. I will be helping a small sketch comedy company with anything they need. Hopefully I will interact more and stop eating my lunch in the car (THIS IS A CHOICE!). Human contact is necessary, so good thing I have two roommates to talk to when I get home. Except sometimes I'm too scared to speak because I haven't spoken to people in so long who knows what's going to come out!? I've witnessed the weird things my friend, Natalie, says when she's been dogsitting for too many days in a row and it's not a situation I want to find myself in anytime soon.

Other than that, this weekend is promising to be pretty awesome. My friend from San Francisco is visiting and it's my brother's birthday so maybe I can update you all on something interesting after I begin speaking with people again... weeeee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment