Monday, June 21, 2010

Where Did I Get This?

Yesterday was Father's Day and in recognition of that wonderful holiday and my wonderful father I want to dedicate a portion of this post to him. As we all know, our parents make us who we are and there is no doubt I would not have turned out half as funny (or awesome) as I am without my dad. He shaped my humor by telling me puns before bed. While most children get a goodnight story, I got: "Two peanuts walked down the street. One was a salted". PURE GOLD. So thank you, Dad, for you made this blogger who she is today.

On that note, I love sarcasm. I'm hoping that comes through in this blog fairly aggressively. So naturally it is annoying when people do not think I understand their sarcasm. Listen up! If you have to tell me that your comment was sarcastic when I clearly responded with sarcasm then you obviously have no idea what you're doing. If you felt the need to clarify the sarcasm because I didn't laugh as you were hoping I would, then it probably just wasn't funny to begin with. And that's not sarcasm's fault, so don't you dare throw sarcasm under the bus like it was their fault that you aren't funny.

I have been exposed to sarcasm for many years- thank you Mom and Dad- and I can even remember getting upset when people misused sarcasm at a very young age. I was at a day camp and we were doing some acting exercise (I have always been a performer at heart) and the teacher asked who knew what sarcasm was. I had the perfect example, because my mom would say it to my brother every time he lied about anything. "You cleaned your room? Oh, yeah, and I'm Batman". The PG sarcasm I was brought up with only lead me to use it in R-rated instances. But instead of choosing me to give an example, the teacher picked this kid who said "when you say you're going to be somewhere in 2 seconds, you're being sarcastic". Umm, no... that's just being irresponsible. Who knows how fast one would have to drive to get anywhere in 2 seconds. Unfortunately my teacher also had no idea what sarcasm was because she accepted this horrible example. And everyone in that class has probably grown up to have no idea what is happening on all the major news networks: The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Weekend Update, etc. It was at that day camp that I vowed to always protect and represent sarcasm in the way it deserves, as one of the most important tools used in society today.

No comments:

Post a Comment